Monday, January 18, 2010

What other food can i feed squirrels that are in my garden, no abuse please?

Last year we found a wholemeal roll with seeds and nuts under the bonnet of our car, put there by squirrels. The ones in my garden love sunflower seeds and peanuts, in or out of shells. In fact they will eat almost anything I put out for the birds .What other food can i feed squirrels that are in my garden, no abuse please?
In Florida Squirrels are classified as non-endangered ';pests';, they are also considered a ';game'; animal. Given that, if you enjoy your house and property, including your garden, I have but one suggestion;





DON'T FEED THE SQUIRRELS





or you will be in for a major 'treat' each year around breeding season.What other food can i feed squirrels that are in my garden, no abuse please?
I have hundred's of squirrels where I live,also fox's and rabbits.I leave food out for the fox's,the rabbits help themselves,and ALL my squirrels have a bird table,everyday I put nuts and fruit out and although they should not be out at this time of year it is always gone within a few hours (so we start all over again).I watch all wild life and I have had people tell me not to feed them,but I tell them to mind their own business.Cannot wait for the hedgehogs,love to hear them chasing the plates round my patio at the moment they are asleep in my shed.By the way my squirrels will eat cat and dog food,but I think they like peanuts with their shell on best. (Not treated)but apple,acorns,any fruit will do.
Let the little blighters fend for themselves. It's what nature intended.
They eat from my bird feeders so I guess bird seed is ok.


Squirrels are very destructive I am not sure you should encourage this.


As kids we packed suet or peanut butter into pine cones (that had fallen off trees) and then rolled them in bird seed and hung them from tree branches. They ate that too!!


try searching on squirrel food
I've watched squirrels in my back yard eat my dog's dry dog food.
Dried corn on the cob, bird feed (not thistle seed), popcorn popped, old bread, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, and peanut butter.
My squirrels always like feild corn and sunflower seeds. That's what is easy for me to feed. I have never tried fruits or veggies to see what else they liked. I suspect any grain or nut would be good and quite possibly bread crusts.
As an estate gardener the owner had large nails about six feet up the sides of trees and I would put ear corn from a feed store on these about once a week. They were fun to watch and the hawks had fun chasing them. As suggested I'am not sure it was the best for the trees as they loved to chew the ends of the tree branches to drop their nest building sticks. Don't ask about the Canadian Geese and the yard!!
squirrels, like lot麓s of nut麓s they eat oat麓barley they like apple麓s all the thing麓s you find in muesli .
We have two squirrels that entertain me often in the yard, but we do have pecan trees too. I put out deer corn, I am sure any corn would be apprepriate. I throw out bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, to feed the outdoor birds; and then seeds from my cockateils, and parrot when I clean out the cage. This is nice because the sunflower seeds grow and make not only a great decoration but also a head and they go for the seed from that too. I also try to leave out a container filled with water for them.
nuts, seeds and fruits.
field corn, peanuts and sun flower seeds..
If you are in the uk, then dont. They are probably grey squirrels, and for some unknown reason in the UK they destroy trees. If they are red squirrels as here in France, then they love nuts and fruit.
squirrels love nuts!
my kids love to feed the squirrels and chipmunks. we place the food for the squirrels far from our garden though.





we toast bread and put peanut butter on it then dip it in black sunflower seeds.








we do this with old bagels and big pine cones too. with these you can tie string or yarn to them and hang them from trees or the windows for you to watch closely in the house.





they have dried corn cobs with a squirrel feeder here at the hardware store too





have fun and enjoy those squirrels
Acorns

No comments:

Post a Comment