Saturday, January 16, 2010

Are squirrels worth the work to skin them for a food item? If so, what is the best way to do it?

Our neighborhood was running rampant so I shot some. I was going to try eating them just because I didn't want them to be wasted, but I cut myself and they were such a pain to skin I just gave up and went and took care of the cut, which was pretty bad, and tossed them. I hated that, not sure I want to eat squirrel but hate worse to waste them.Are squirrels worth the work to skin them for a food item? If so, what is the best way to do it?
just make a cut south of the poop shoot about 2 inches wide and severing the tail bone. Then step on the feet and pull up hard and the skin will come up over the body, the rest is easy if you ever skinned anything, as it appears you have.Are squirrels worth the work to skin them for a food item? If so, what is the best way to do it?
Squirrels are excellent eating. The easiest way to skin them is to cut through the skin across the back, insert two fingers under each dise of the cut and pull. When the skin is pulled all the way to the feet/ tail anf feet/head cut off the feet, tail and head. Then turn the squirrel over, slit the belly from end to end and remove the entrails. The heart, kidneys and liver are also good to eat so toss them into the bowl as well. They can be fried, boiled until tender to make gravy, grilled, baked, etc. for a delicious meal. Usually it takes one squirrel for each person being fed.
I definitely feel that they are worth the effort to skin them. My preferred way is to make an incision through the skin around the hock of one hind leg. I carry this incision across to the other hock which I cut around. I then cut around the anus and sever the tail bone. Next I place my foot on the tail and pull up on both hind legs. If you have done as I have told you, you will have the squirrel skin pulled up around the squirrel's neck. If you wish to save the head to cook, you will have to work the skin over the head. If you do not eat the head, and some people do not, you can just sever the neck and remove the head and the attached skin. Gut it, wash off all attached hair and it is ready for the pan or freezer.
I concur with what Shooter 1 says about how to skin 'em. Truth is rodents are nutritionally excellent for large predators besides being rather tasty. They make excellent tortilla soup, squirrel and dumplings, stew, tamales, etc. I don't hunt them, but any of those fuzzy tailed rats...or tree rats...or what ever you want to call them...that get ideas about setting up house keeping too close to the house go to the freezer. When enough accumulate in the freezer (like a dozen or so...) we eat a mess of squirrel. Lst batch became squirrel mole tamales....
I can tell you what not to do:


use a fillet knife; push the fillet knife tip into the squirrel's skin and push it firmly through the squirrel skin and into the meat of your hand. Not that I've done it before or anything. . .





Try this next time:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVwthXg鈥?/a>
yes , squirrel are very good eating i like to skin before gutting, it seams to be less messy .pull skin down to feet then cut off feet. save tails they make grate fishing lures. brown meat, then boil and pull meat to make pot pie.
cut around the center of there body and pull half the skin to the feet and half the skin to the head, then resume cleaning. Thats what I did earlier today.
Squirrel stew, squirrel sandwich, barbecue squirrel, baked squirrel, broiled squirrel, squirrel salad.....
A friendly suggestion, squirrels aren't the best tasteing animals in the world so if i where you i would just through it in the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment