Saturday, January 16, 2010

How do I feed squirrels in my backyard, while making sure that the neighborhood rats don't eat the food?

I have squirrels in my back yard -- and they make me laugh. The rats don't. I want to feed the squirrels in the wintertime and not the rats. What should I do? Thanks.How do I feed squirrels in my backyard, while making sure that the neighborhood rats don't eat the food?
How sad that there are rats in your yard. Can't you call the city and have them do something about that? Rats carry disease you know. It is not good to have them around.





Historically, rats, or technically, the fleas on rats, spread the bubonic plaque around the world. They are nasty disease spreading animals and I would do what ever I could to kill them.





Our neighbors feed the squirrels as well. They are fun to watch, so I would say to get some squirrel feeders. Rats aren't good climbers and they won't be as agile as the squirrels are. You could also train them to eat peanuts right out of your hand as my 83 year old neighbor does.How do I feed squirrels in my backyard, while making sure that the neighborhood rats don't eat the food?
Like everyone else said, the tree-mounted bird feeder will work, but be careful, as cute as those squirrels are, they are still a rodent, and inherently dirty. They will also take up home in your car or home like rats if they get too populous around your home.
there are squirrel feeders to put in trees get a pellit gun and take care of the rats
hang a feeder (you can use a bird feeder) from a tree branch.
the best thing I have found for both squirrels and rats is a mix of double strength rat poison and peanut butter. They will scarf it on down and then go a way and not return for several weeks, then you get to do it again.
buy a squirrel feeder and place it in the tree, this would be your best bet you can find them at your local walmart,
The squirrels will be there without your feeding them. But maybe the rats -- who feel paranoid out in the open -- might go away.
Use an elevated squirrel feeder-but only feed the what they can consume in one day,so no food is available to the nocturnal rodents.
I find feeding the squirrels in the morning works best. Rats are more active at night, so don't have any seeds left by sundown. Our birds generally eat the rest before their bedtime.


Good luck.


Dave


http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/backy鈥?/a>
it's going to be hard because they are both rodents and eat the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment